Council & Commission Service
- January 2015 appointed to fill unserved 2-year term of Claudia Price
- Elected to four year term beginning January 2017
- Appointed to Yachats Planning Commission beginning January 2006
- Attended Yachats City Council meetings since falling in love with this special unique community in 2000
- Managed ecumenical faith-based community service organizations for 30 years: 13-state Appalachian region, local Metropolitan area, multi-state and statewide
- Graduate level masters education in research and planning with focus on regions and local communities
- Special training and certification to work with organizations and congregations in times of transition, as “Interim Leader” to create new visions and plans
Yachats, a Special Place Like No Other
My late wife Marie Green and I fell in love with Yachats in July 2000 while camping at Beachside State Park. Captured by the spirit of Yachats we were invited to the Yachats Music Festival at the Community Presbyterian Church where we quickly became first-name enthusiasts with artists performing in most top venues worldwide; found the cities Vision 2020 online and quickly saw this is the kind of community where we want to retire; discovered volunteers provided the leadership and energy to implement the Vision 2020 and most important everyone was accepted, respected and provided opportunity to just be who they wanted to be, without past identities.
I enjoy serving as a volunteer greeter at the Visitors Center. During one 3-hour shift last year, I welcomed visitors from five different countries.
I created two Facebook pages to function as the digital "water fountain" where citizens can share. The first open group, Yachats Community now has 6,700 members, persons who also fall in love with our place and want to stay up with goings on. Needing a place for actual residents to talk together, I created a closed group Yachats Village Information and Support which now has 525 members who reside in our zip code.
I consider it a great honor to serve the community as a City Councilman. I am a good listener and I am always anxious to hear the concerns and the exciting new ideas you have for our village.